We all have moments in our lives that, while at the time seem insignificant, end up having huge implications for our lives. One of those moments came when I discovered Rickshaw Bagworks.
Now, I know that sounds a bit dramatic; perhaps even downright silly. But let me say this: ordering a bag from Rickshaw Bagworks has changed my life. In fact, if it wasn’t for that fateful day the odds are this website wouldn’t even exist and you wouldn’t be reading these words. Mind blown? Good.
But I digress. I have now had the great pleasure of owning my rickshaw commuter messenger bag for about 3 months now. Before you go making obligatory comments about “man-purses” or whatever let me remind you that Indiana Jones carried a bag similar to this and if you told Indiana Jones he was carrying a man-purse he would whip you in the mouth.
I love my rickshaw. It’s an item I literally use everyday and something I rarely leave the house without. It easily holds my 15″ MacBook Pro, iPad, several books, journals, pens, keys, wallet, camera, and whatever else I feel I will need for any particular trip. I have owned several different messenger bag/laptop bags in the past and I can honestly say this is the best bag I have owned. The quality is second to none, even with other bags I have owned that fall in it’s price range. The durability is awesome, and the customization options you get through the website mean that your bag is truly YOUR bag.
I also need to brag on Rickshaw Bagworks’ Customer Service. They are kind, courteous, and timely in their responses with any problems you may (unlikely) run into. Another plus is they have an extensive video library available from their website to give you detailed tours of their shop in San Francisco, and breakdowns of all their items. I am one who usually shy’s away from buying much online because I like to have something in my hands and investigate it before I make a purchase. However, Rickshaw has done such a great job with their website and video descriptions of their products, that I had no problem ordering my bag and it met, nay, exceeded my expectations when it arrived.
Some pros and cons:
1. This is an all-around well constructed, extremely well thought out product.
2. The adjustable shoulder strap is great and makes you wonder how you lived all these years without it.
3. Magnets hold the top flap down against wind and rain, and don’t make an awkwardly loud noise when you open it.
1. This is not a cheap bag. However, Rickshaw Bagworks has a lifetime warranty on the bag, so consider it an investment in quality.
2. If the bag is fully loaded the magnets won’t hold the bag completely closed. This is understandable and there are clips to lock the flap down.
3. The bag is fairly big so if you are looking for something more compact, check out their line of “skinny” bags.
If you are looking for a quality bag that will probably outlast you, then head on over to rickshawbags.com and check them out. Since ordering my bag I have also ordered an iPad sleeve, Moleskin Folio, and my wife has a Medium Zero Messenger Bag and we love all of them. Reviews of those products will be coming soon!
Modern Vintage Man Rating: 4.5/5